A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: II*8, Church Street
An early-16th-century timber-framed three-storey twin-gabled building. Both front and rear bars contain several 1930s features – panelled counters, bar-backs with mirrors and ribbed glass and brick fireplaces. A blue-brick passage runs down the right-hand side with entrances off it to the rear bar and outside gents’. Behind is a former warehouse (c.1600) which has been converted into a dining/meeting room with open rafters.
An early 16th century timber framed three storey twin gabled building. The front bar has a fielded panelled counter and brick fireplace, both of which are probably from the 1950s (but could be earlier). The bar back is mostly modern. There is half timbering on the left hand wall and a small piece of old dado panelling on the right hand wall. A passage leads to the rear lounge bar, which can be also accessed down the blue brick passage on the right hand side of the pub. It has a similar counter and also has half-timbering on two walls. The large brick fireplace is emblazoned with the date 1471 but is not of any great vintage; there are two old carved beams and a grandfather clock which all add to the atmosphere. Outside gents further down the passage. At the rear is a former c.1600 warehouse which has been converted into the Barn Restaurant.Read More