A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listedFranchise Street
A 19th-century building that was originally two cottages then a pub with four small rooms. The front bar has a canted inter-war bar counter, some old bar-back shelving and some possibly pre-war dado panelling. Off to the left, the small area was once a separate room and the folding wooden screen may have replaced a wall. A pool table and then skittle alley lie beyond. The rear bar, with full-height ply panelling, was enlarged in 1973 and the bar fittings are from 1999.
A 19th building that was originally two cottages and four small rooms. Eldridge Pope bought the pub in 1921 and the sloping bar counter on the front right could date from the inter war period. What looks like an old window has some old bar back shelving but the fireplace dates from 1973. The rear bar was tiny and in 1973 was doubled in size by adding the former kitchen on the left which has ply panelled walls and nautical items covering them. The bar back and counter fitten 1999. The front part is now a combination of bar and a skittle alley to the left. Details from 'A Short History of the Chapplehay tavern, Weymouth by G E Schofield April 1983 (Updated Sept 2009). Not enough old fittings remain.Read More