A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed6-8 Lanadwell Street
Although the small front bar was once divided into two small rooms (hence ‘Bar’ and ‘Private Bar’ on the windows), it retains its Victorian counter, painted a deep red colour, and old bar-back shelves - a real rarity in Cornwall. Tongue-and-grooved wall-panelling, old wall-bench seating, a stone fireplace and a square panelled ceiling complete the picture. Beyond the partitioning with lattice leaded windows is the bar counter of the private bar and at the rear is a hatch/doorway which could once have been an off-sales. Through a wide doorway to the right is another small room with half-height panelling, a stone/slate fireplace and more aged wall benches. The small restaurant to the rear right occupies a room brought into use not long ago.
Originally three fisherman's cottages which became a pub in 1827 – note the red painted half door at the rear from an original cottage. It was bought by St Austell Brewery in 1907 and it appears to have been last refitted just after that date, and much of the layout and these fittings remain. There is a Delabole slate floor to the right of the front door.
The small front bar was originally divided into two small rooms as the 'Bar' (a transfer) and 'Private Bar' (old, but not original) windows indicate. It still retains its Edwardian panelled counter front painted a deep red colour with old wooden top and old bar back shelves on a tongue and groove wall painted white – only one fridge has replaced some shelves. Tongue and groove panelling to three-quarters height around the far left walls attached to which are fixed benches with arms all painted a deep red with panelling above painted white. A 1950/1960s stone slate fireplace on the left and a fielded panelled ceiling complete the picture. Part of the partition with lattice leaded windows that separated the public bar and private bar remains – the doorway to the public bar is visible alongside the partition. The counter front on the private bar / right hand side looks more post-war and has also been painted a deep red colour. At the rear is a hatch/doorway which may be an off-sales in the past.
Through a wide arch to the right is another small room with half-height panelling, a stone/slate fireplace and more ancient wall benches painted a deep red and fielded panelled ceiling. There is a small restaurant at the rear right in a room brought into use in modern times and has an old stone fireplace filling one wall, but modern panelling on the walls. A wide doorway was cut between the right hand room and the restaurant room in 2013. Outside gents and ladies.