Originally a row of three timber-framed cottages from the 1560s, converted to Tea Rooms in 1926 and then to a pub in 1956, since when it has changed very little. The main bar, in the middle, has a wooden bar front with a shelf on the customer side (a sometime feature of 1950s/60s bar fittings), a bar-back typical of the era, a large brick and stone fireplace with copper hood and bench seating. Beer was originally drawn from casks which may have been situated in the area rear left of the servery. The smaller heavily-beamed bar on the left has its own front door entrance plus a curved counter and similar bar-back and fireplace to the main bar. The dado panelling near the front door is very 1950s as is the adzed wooden pillar. The beamed dining room, the Falstaff, has a quarter-circle wooden bar and brick fireplace with another period-style copper hood; the conservatory extension is the only significant change to the internal layout. Between the main bar and dining room is a lobby with an unusually-timbered wall.
Originally a row of three timber-framed cottages dating back to the 1560s which became the Monkswell Tea Rooms in 1926. In 1956 it was transformed into a three-roomed public house by Bass Charrington and is remarkably little changed since. The owner wonders if there was a petition to get the pub its license in the 1950s? It is name after St Margarets Well which is 42 metres deep and is situated in the gardens.
The main beamed middle bar has a carpet, a wooden bar front with a shelf on the customers side which is something seen on bar fittings of the 1950s/60s, the bar back consists of shelves on a rustic wood and mirrored back and could well date from the 1950s; half of lower shelves lost to fridges. There is a large brick and stone fireplace with a very c.1960 copper hood over a log fire. Good benches for seating which could well have been here since 1956. Surrey Pubs (1965) states the beer was drawn from the cask and there is area on the rear left of the servery where some of the wood looks more modern so this may be where originally the casks were situated?
A doorway leads to a smaller bar on the left which has its own front door entrance into this heavily beamed room. The curved wooden bar counter may well date from the 1950s, the bar back is another of shelves on a rustic wood and mirrored back. A brick fireplace with stove has another very c.1960 copper hood over it. Dado panelling near the front door is of a 1950s style, look for the adzed wood pillar and there are more good benches.
On the right twin doors with leaded panels lead to the Falstaff, a beamed dining room. This has a quarter circle wooden bar counter that could date from the 1950s. There is a brick fireplace with a log burner and a very c.1960 copper hood over. There is a small conservatory-style extension to this room to the rear which is the only significant change to the interior layout.
The lobby between the main bar and dining room with one wall of unusual timber has the toilets off – the toilet block and cellar on the right hand side where the only significant changes made to the exterior to convert it into a pub in 1956. There are a number of 1950s style doors.