Prince Albert

East Sussex - Brighton

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

48 Trafalgar Street
Brighton
BN1 4ED

Tel: (01273) 730499

Email: willtheprincealbert@hotmail.co.uk

Real ale & Cider: Real Ale and Real Cider

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Brighton) and Bus Stop

View on: Whatpub

Three storey pub built 1860 which retains a five room layout and bar counter from the 1930s. Tamplins Brewery plan for changes to the pub in 1936 are on the wall of the smoking room. Front right is the public bar with a bare wood floor, a 1930s panelled bar counter, old dado panelling painted yellow, a ‘Public Bar’ gold etched panel in the door. The smoking room on the front left has a wide arch into it and has a bare wood floor, old wood surround with new cast-iron hearth fireplace, old dado panelling painted yellow with wall benches attached to part of it.

Three storey pub built 1860 which retains a five room layout and bar counter from the 1930s. Tamplins Brewery plan for changes to the pub in 1936 are on the wall of the smoking room. Front right is the public bar with a bare wood floor, a 1930s panelled bar counter, old dado panelling painted yellow, a ‘Public Bar’ gold etched panel in the door. The smoking room on the front left has a wide arch into it and has a bare wood floor, old wood surround with new cast-iron hearth fireplace, old dado panelling painted yellow with wall benches attached to part of it.

Behind the servery is the saloon bar with a bare wood floor, a post-war counter which replaced a hatch, old wood surround and cast-iron fireplace and old cupboards in the corner. There was originally an off-sales in part of the servery and the exterior door remains. The rear left former coffee room with a figure ‘1’ on a ceramic button on the door and has oldish panelling painted a deep green around most of the room, a marble fireplace with modern cast-iron hearth, old wood cupboards. Rear right room has a figure ‘7’ on a ceramic button on the door and was shown as the kitchen on the 1936 plan. It has oldish dado panelling painted deep pink, wall cupboard. Old dado panelling painted blue on the passage which leads to the rear door and a yard with star wars murals on the walls. Outside gents under cover in former store room – original gents on the right have been demolished. Has a music room upstairs and the exterior wall on Frederick Street side has a musical mural.

Read More