A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listedChurch Road
An attractive rebuild in brick by Fremlins of 1937. Much opened up but still retaining a small public bar and to its right a much larger space which ia an amalgamation of two (possibly three) rooms. Both bars retain their fielded panelled counters and wall panelling but in the public bar these have unfortunately been painted a light grey: on the right-hand side they have suffered somewhat the stripping of staining or varnish. The back-to-back fireplaces seem to be of 1930s brick but do not tie up with the panelling. There is a elegant stone fireplace at the rear right. Sadly a rather crude opening has been created in the wall of the corridor to the public bar.
Rebuilt by Fremlins of brick in 1937. Although much opened-up, you can clearly see the original plan of a public bar on the left which is still separate and two more bars and rear room now combined. A passage from the main door has been opened-up to the public bar which still retains its fielded panelled bar counter and a dado of fielded panelling. The back to back fireplaces is of 1930s brick but does not tie up with the panelling. Through a narrow gap cut to link the rooms is a large bar on the right formerly three rooms which all retain original fielded panelling to dado height but here it has lost its original dark stain. Original counter of fielded panelling on left but the right hand return piece is modern having replaced a hatch when the wall between the two front rooms was removed in 19XX. The bar back has some original fielded panelling and small cupboards but modern additions and most of the lower shelving replaced by fridges. There is an original stone fireplace in the rear area and the remaining doors are original. Toilets modernised. At the rear of the pub is a 18 hole crazy golf course – just ask to borrow the clubs and balls to play. It is all made of fibreglass and was bought from East Cliff Pavillion in Folkestone 30 years ago.Read More