Windmill

West Sussex - Littleworth

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

Littleworth Lane
Littleworth
RH13 8EJ

OS ref: TQ193205

Tel: (01403) 710308

Email: info@windmilllittleworth.com

Website http://www.windmilllittleworth.com/

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Public Transport: Near Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Old brick and tile hung building with a 1930s (or just post war) flat roof extension of brick on the front right side, which houses the toilets and enabled the lounge to be increased by some 50%. Up to 2014 it had a layout of small public bar to the left, small lounge to the right and quarry tiled drinking passage with split door for off sales between the two rooms and had been little changed for over 50 years.

The public bar on the left is still unchanged with a small bar counter from the 1930s and a fireplace looks to be of reclaimed/re-used bricks which may be inter-war). Back shelving is probably contemporaneous with some post-war additions (but could well be 1930's). Flagstone floor in the public bar is from c.1983. The former landlord had a photo from the late 1940s showing the matchwood panelling in the front bar just as it is today. The seating in the public bar is pew style and may be c1970s.

Old brick and tile hung building with a 1930s (or just post war) flat roof extension of brick on the front right side, which houses the toilets and enabled the lounge to be increased by some 50%. Up to 2014 it had a layout of small public bar to the left, small lounge to the right and quarry tiled drinking passage with split door for off sales between the two rooms and had been little changed for over 50 years.

The public bar on the left is still unchanged with a small bar counter from the 1930s and a fireplace looks to be of reclaimed/re-used bricks which may be inter-war). Back shelving is probably contemporaneous with some post-war additions (but could well be 1930's). Flagstone floor in the public bar is from c.1983. The former landlord had a photo from the late 1940s showing the matchwood panelling in the front bar just as it is today. The seating in the public bar is pew style and may be c1970s.

The quarry tiled drinking passage with split door for off-sales between the two rooms has gone - there is a new flagstone-like floor from the front door and the dado panelling in the passage has been painted a pastel mushroom colour. The small lounge to the right has seen much change - it has been opened-up to the passage and has the same flagstone-like floor, but of reconstituted material; the counter was originally a distinctive semi-circular 1950s style, but has been moved some 6 feet back so is now visible as you enter the pub and painted a pastel mushroom colour; also the bar back fitting which might well be from a similar date has been moved. Only the fireplace is as was. The toilets at the front of the building have gone, the wall separating them from the lounge removed so the front section of the lounge is double its original size and has a new wood floor. A dining room has been added at the rear.

Read More