A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II14 All Saints Street
A late sixteenth-century timber-framed building behind a Victorian refronting. What we have inside is a complete scheme from a 1952 refit by Fremlin's brewery and thus an interesting early example of how pubs would be treated in the post-war period. The bar parlour, off-sales and public bar were combined by removing partitions to form the present front bar and a new counter. The three-bay bar-back is of unusual design and has three drawers, one of which served as the till in the days before new-fangled electronic ones. In 1952 the rear club room became the smoke room. The pub has two fine old Tudor fireplaces plus a rather grim showcase in the front bar with mummified cats and rats. The plans for the 1952 work are signed by A. Thompson who was very likely Fremlins’ in-house architect.
Late 16th-century timber-framed Old Town pub with a Victorian frontage. After it was sold by private owners to Brode's Brewery in c.1900 changes were made, and by 1907 the pub consisted of a public bar on the left, bottle & jug in the centre, and tiny bar parlour on the right with a small servery in the centre - hence the two front doors. The layout today is as a result of a 1952 refurbishment by Fremlins Brewery. The bar parlour, bottle & jug and public bar were combined by removing partitions to form the present front bar and a new bar counter with black Formica top installed on the left hand side (the new licensees have since replaced the Formica top with a wooden one and installed a mirrored glass backing to the back bar). The unusual three bay bar back with three drawers - one a till - looks to be an inter war one but installed in 1952. The old Tudor shaped stone surround fireplace has a brick interior from 1952, the panelled walls are painted red (now painted white by the new licensees ) and fixed seating is from the 1950s (or later). Note the mummified cat in a case on the wall.
What was a Club Room at the rear became the Smoke Room and a small servery added in 1952 - note the handpumps have a lead drip tray. It has an old Tudor shaped stone surround fireplace with 1930s brick interior and panelled walls are painted red (now painted grey & white by the new licensees ) . The present toilets date from 1952. In 1983 a customer, Mark Pennington, recreated an old pub game called Loggetts which is played out of doors and is a variation on bowls. Loggets is played on the 2nd Sunday in August at the end of 'Old Town' week.