A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: IIMiddle Street
Old brick and flint three-bar pub. in the same family for over 100 years. Most of the fittings in the narrow middle room can be dated to around 1947 (the date on the handpumps). The left-hand bar has fittings (three-sided counter, dado panelling, parquet flooring) from the 1930s - the room was extended in 1969. The right-hand bar, extended in 1986, has an old-looking counter.
Part 18th, part 19th century brick and flint pub with three bars that has been in the same family for over 100 years. The narrow middle room has fittings from c.1947 - the date on the handpumps - the bar back shelves on fielded panelling could date from c.1947 but two fridges have replaced most of the lower shelving. Note the small swivel leaded window between the left and middle bars; there is a model railway over the bar counter! It has old dado panelling and the two 'Public Bar' etched windows only date from the early 2000s - note they face inward, not the normal, outward.
The left hand bar has fittings from the 1930s - a three sided 1930s counter with a apron of green tiles around it, parquet floor on the staff side, dado panelling looks 1930s. The room was extended to the far left in 1969 and the fireplace in the original part was replaced then It has modern 'Bar Parlour' windows. The right hand bar has an old looking counter but is it? In 1986 the room was extended into a former private room by a wide gap in the wall. Marginal. Near the main entrance between the public bar and the right hand room are a number of doors as there was an off-sales here in the past. Outside gents on the right of the pub.