A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed28 North Road
The Dorset, a three storey Georgian building, is worth a visit to see the fine early 20th century raked bar counter with pilasters and console brackets but the good bar top is a replacement. The bar counter may have been re-positioned - note how close the fireplace is to it! There are a number of etched windows, some replacements, featuring birds such as swallows and finches. The corner door has 'Public Bar' and 'Bottle & Jug Dept." and another set of twin doors has 'Private Bar' panels. There is a 1930s brick fireplace and on the right an office-like structure with 1930s glasswork. There is a separate room at the rear now opened-up. Note the dado of Art Nouveaux Lincrusta.
The Heart and Hand, 75 North Road, on the opposite street corner is notable for the distinctive ground-floor green glazed tiling and leaded windows denoting the now-defunct Portsmouth and Brighton United Breweries. Based in Southsea, Hants, the company added ‘Brighton’ to its name in February 1928 after acquisition of the Rock brewery here at 61 St. James Street.