A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: C81 North High St.
Built 1858, licensed 1860, and in same family ever since, it has a barely altered main bar with panelled walls and segmented ceiling. The late Victorian gantry with four huge spirit casks is an unusual survivor. The right-hand door led to the jug bar but this has been removed and a half door inscribed ‘Jug Bar’ moved to the main inner doors. There are glazed baffles to the seating, old window screens, and a couple of advertising mirrors. Beyond the bar is a lounge which once comprised two tiny snugs. A rear lounge was added post-war and refitted in the early 1990s.
Erected in 1858 and licensed since 1860, this small traditional pub is still owned by the same family ownership. The interior was restructured in 1888 and the only changes to the public bar is the amalgamation of the off sales.
The right-hand door did lead to the jug bar but the partition has been removed and a 'Jug Bar' half-door panel moved to the main inner doors. The late-Victorian back gantry has four (originally six) polished huge spirit casks on top and is a rare survivor. The Victorian bar counter with decorative carved scrolls has a new Formica top over the original. There is a heavy part glazed partition as you enter which forms a seating area on the left of the room with another substantial baffle at the rear of the room and bell pushes in the wall panelling. Other items of note are the old window screens, some remaining gas light fittings, and old mirrors from 'Young & Co's Pale Ale Fisherrow Edinburgh' and 'Wm Whitelaw & Son's Pale Ale' – Wm Whitelaw brewed at the Fisherrow Brewery in Musselburgh.
Beyond the bar is a sitting room which has fittings from the 1950s and was originally two tiny snugs. A new lounge at the rear was added post war and refitted in the early 1990s.