A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed1-2 Yardheads
Tel: (0131) 467 7109
View on: Whatpub
Situated at the bottom of an 1886 tenement, the few alterations since the bar opened are no doubt accounted for by it only having had four owners. The long, narrow, dado-panelled public bar has an old counter with a new top plus a gantry with an old lower portion but a more recent top half. An unusual feature here is that customers can stand in the servery area though the coal fire which perhaps once attracted them is now covered over; they use the counter to play dominoes. The left-hand door leads to a tiny jug bar but the partition door has been removed and only part of the screen on the counter top remains. The front sitting room on the right has ply panelling, 1960s fixed seating and formica-topped tables.
Small pub still with two sitting rooms and unusual in that customers can stand within the servery area. It is situated in the bottom of a tenement dated 1886 and little altered due to only having four owners since it opened as a pub. The long, narrow dado-panelled public bar has a counter at least 100 years old with a new top and a gantry with an old lower half but a top half that was replaced 30 years ago. Behind the counter at the rear of the bar there is a fireplace now covered over. Even today you will find customers in this area, although there is no coal fire to attract them, and the counter is used by the customers to play dominoes. The left-hand door leads to a tiny jug bar but the partition door was removed c.1988 and only a small part of the screen on the counter top remains; originally there was a hatch. The front sitting room on the right retains its ply panelling, 1960s fixed seating and two-level red Formica top tables.Read More