1905

Borders - Kelso

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: C

Crawford Street
Kelso
TD5 7DP

Tel: (01573) 225556

Real ale & Cider: Real Ale

Public Transport: Near Bus Stop

View on: Whatpub

Situated just off the market place, this multi-roomed pub built in 1905 has been greatly modernised, with the rear rooms popular with young people. However, the public bar retains its original fittings virtually unaltered. There is a splendid back gantry of seven bays, six of which have old mirrors including one for 'Murray's Edinburgh Ale'. In the fifth bay is a door to the office behind and on the top of the gantry are six old spirit casks. The carved bar counter is the original and the public bar is separated from the rest of the interior by a low partition, which has lost its door.

Situated just off the market place, this multi-roomed pub built in 1905 has been greatly modernised, with the rear rooms popular with young people. However, the public bar retains its original fittings virtually unaltered. There is a splendid back gantry of seven bays, six of which have old mirrors including one for 'Murray's Edinburgh Ale'. In the fifth bay is a door to the office behind and on the top of the gantry are six old spirit casks. The carved bar counter is the original and the public bar is separated from the rest of the interior by a low partition, which has lost its door.

To the left the terrazzo floor indicates changes to the layout, including loosing a snug and turning two rooms in the lounge. The lounge has old panelled walls but the gantry was replaced in early 2005 and the bar counter is modern. There is another lounge on the far left and a two-part games room at the rear served by a hatch, but all of these rooms have modern fittings.

Read More