A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II137 Crewe Road
Tel: (01270) 582181
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Public Transport: Near Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
The Hawk is a fine pub with a sequence of different rooms. These include the dining room on the left with an inter-war fireplace and old panelling. The Games Room (right) has a most interesting feature, an odd seat that projects out over the steps leading down to the cellar, and also a glazed section exposing the wattle and daub of its walling. But the star attraction is at the back of the pub. This is the Oak Room, lined with a rich display of old panelling, probably of early 17th-century origin and likely to have come from a gentry house, rather than an Armada galleon as the hoary old legend would have it. All this was there when Robinsons of Stockport bought the pub in 1929 from Kay’s Atlas Brewery of Manchester. The room also has a Tudor-style stone fire-surround, 1920s fixed seating, bell-pushes and leaded windows. Over the fireplace are three decorative arches in relief, either side of which are paired columns.
A late 17th-century building with later alterations and retaining its five rooms and entrance hall. The star here and the reason for its inclusion as one of CAMRA's Heritage Pubs is the Oak Room at the rear which is lined with a tremendous display of old panelling, probably from the early 17th century. The excellent mantelpiece of oak panelling features three decorative arches in relief and twin Doric columns at each end. In research undertaken by Pub Heritage Group member, Chris Witt, he was told by the owners, Robinson’s of Stockport, that it was here when they acquired the pub back in 1929 from Kay’s Atlas Brewery of Ardwick, Manchester. Where it came from and when is unknown but was probably brought from a gentry house at some stage. Fanciful tales abound of it having been salvaged from ships, even, according to one version, from vessels in the Spanish Armada.
The Oak Room has a button on the old door with the figure '6' on it. There is a Tudor shaped stone fireplace with brown glazed stone interior, fixed seating with bell-pushes above and leaded window with a colourful crest which are all of a distinctive 1920s style so the room could date from just before the pub passed from the ownership of Kay's Brewery to Robinsons in 1929. The other main change took place in 1978 when an extension was added and the servery was moved from the right of the pub to its present 'island bar' position so the present bar counter, bar back and some seating are replacements.
Other rooms include the games room on the front right which is on two levels and has a glass covered section of wattle and daub and a brick fireplace from the 1930s, genuine beams and a bench that has been carefully created to form a ceiling over the stairs leading to the cellar. The main room in the front of the servery has an old bench from the 1920/30s and a brick fireplace that looks to date from the 1930s.
Across the small hall/passage to the left of the main bar is the Dining Room on the front left which has a 1930s brick fireplace, old dado panelling and a corner display cabinet. The area on the right of the servery between the games room and the Oak Room has post-war seating - this was where the servery was situated until 1978 and why there is a hatch in the wall between this area and the games room. The present servery dates from 1978 - originally in this area was a fireplace and the outside gents.