Odd One Out

Essex - Colchester

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

28 Mersea Road
Colchester
CO2 7ET

Tel: 07976 985083

Email: theoddoneoutcolchester@hotmail.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theoddie

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Station: Yes

Nearby Station: Colchester Town

Station Distance: 400m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Colchester Town) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Since this terraced property became a pub in 1935 the fittings and layout have changed very little. To the left is a bar with bare-boarded floor, solid 1930s counter, bar back with bevelled mirror panels, brick fireplace and bench seating; note the glass snack display case on the bar. To the rear left is a small room with similar features. The high-level shelving over the counters is modern. The wall dividing these rooms was reinstated by the present landlord. On the right, another small bar retains its 1930s fittings, as does the little-used room at the back. These two rooms used to be accessed from a side door but a connecting internal doorway was installed in 1983.

A terraced property which became a pub in 1935 and the fittings and layout are very little changed since. To the left is a bar with bare-boarded floor, solid 1930s counter, bar back with bevelled mirror panels, brick fireplace and bench seating; note the glass snack display case on the bar. To the rear left is a small room with another solid 1930s counter, bar back with with bevelled mirror panels and a brick fireplace. The high-level shelving over the counters is modern. The wall dividing the two left hand rooms was put back by the present landlord having been removed some years earlier.

On the right is another small bar with 1930s counter, brick fireplace, dado panelling. The pub door originally led to the off sales - note that the front of the counter is the 1935 one, that on the side is more modern and replaced a hatch. At the rear is another little used small room with a small 1930s counter and brick fireplace. Gents' has three big 1930s urinals. The right hand rooms were accessed not from the front but side door (between the loos). In 1983 an arch shaped doorway was cut into the wall to connect the left and right bars - the left front door is no longer in use.

Read More