A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listedMarket Place
Once a flourishing eighteenth century inn, the Royal Oak was acquired by the Blackburn brewers, Dutton’s, in 1902 and extensively remodelled by them in the mid-1930s, creating an idealised "Olde English" panelled interior for the new breed of motorised tourists. Yet this marvellous display was done frugally, using plasterwork as imitation timber. The lavish effect can still be appreciated today although the layout was much altered in the mid-1960s when the former snug and smoke-room were merged and the tap room became the gents’ toilet. There is still a separate dining room with more ‘wood’ panelling. The revolving entrance door is a noteworthy rarity.
Recently all the wall panelling has been painted a gastro grey colour so our photos are out of date (the bar counter looks to have been spared this treatment).