Two star - A pub interior of outstanding national historic interest
Listed Status: IIEastcote High Road
The main attraction of this pub is its layout still retaining two original rooms with a delightful "olde worlde" ambiance.
In its leafy surroundings, this is more like a country pub than a town pub. Part of the right-hand side may date back to the 16th century but is mainly a remodelling after a fire in 1891. Inside there is a deliberate attempt, probably dating from the inter-war years, to create an ‘olde worlde’ feel. This is especially apparent in the smaller room on the right, a step down from the corner room, with its hefty black ceiling beams and imitation half-timbering. Some of the panelling has a deliberately rough texture but this is actually synthetic material. The same manner of work continues, though with a little less bravura, in the larger, L-shaped bar on the corner. Both rooms have brick fire surrounds built of small red bricks, and fielded panelling on the counter fronts that looks inter-war with that in the right hand bar the slightly more elaborate of the two rooms.
A reconstructed old barn was linked to the pub and brought into use c.1990, and a further room on the right was brought into pub use as a dining area in the late 2010s when toilets were relocated to the rear of the pub.