A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed107 Barnston Road
An attractive pub of 1911 on the footprint of a former alehouse and barn and with surprisingly limited subsequent alterations. The bar and the next-door snug (formerly smoke room) comprised the original pub part of the building. The bar has lots of superb pine woodwork. The panelled counter still has its original top plus a leaded screen at one end and a hatch at the other: the bar-back has shelves with mirrors behind. There is bench seating, attractive window leading, carried through to the snug where there's bench seating with working bell-pushes above (normally turned off to prevent over-enthusiastic usage): bell-box above the snug door. The lounge has two distinct parts – the right-hand end was originally a tea room with bell-pushes, doors and bench seating from 1911. The red-tiled area in front of the servery was converted from the kitchen in 1984 – the range came from a demolished house in West Kirby. The bar-back fitting here, very similar to that in the public bar, was actually only introduced in 1984 and came from a pub in Liverpool and given added glass panels.
This very attractive pub was built in 1911 on the footprint of a former alehouse and barn; the subsequent alterations have been surprisingly limited.
The entrance porch has a rustic roof supported by columns and a tiled floor which continues into the lobby. The left-hand door to the Smoke Room' is not now used. The ‘Bar’ door is part of a three-sided screen whose upper portion has leaded windows with ornate Art-Nouveau patterning. Inside, the bar and the next-door snug (formerly the smoke room) comprised the original pub part of the building. The bar has lots of superb pine woodwork. The solid panelled bar counter has its original top plus a leaded screen at one end and a hatch at the other. A terrific bar back has a multitude of shelves with mirrors behind. The L-shaped bench seating is un-upholstered whilst the bottom section of the windows sports an attractive leaded design, carried through to the snug. The only significant change is the modern tiled floor.
In the snug, there's a baffle next to the external door and sturdy leather-covered bench seating all round with bell-pushes above. The latter still work though the landlord normally keeps them turned off to prevent over-usage by younger visitors. The bell-box is in the bar, above the snug door. The tiled fireplace has an imposing wood over-mantle topped by an operational clock. The wood-block flooring is original.
Pretty dado tiling can be seen in the corridor from the bar to the toilets.
On the right is the present lounge bar in two distinct parts – the right hand end was a tea room when the pub was built and still retains the original green glazed brick, cast-iron and wood surround fireplace with a mirror in the mantelpiece and there are bell pushes around the walls. The doors and bench seating also date from 1911. The small red-tiled area in front of the servery was converted from the domestic kitchen in 1984 - the range came from a demolished house in West Kirby. The two areas were originally separated by a staircase as well as walls.
The bar back fitting here which looks very similar to the one in the public bar was actually only introduced in 1984 – it has come from a pub in Liverpool and owner Ralph Leech found it for sale in a warehouse - he then added the glass panels to it prior to installation.