A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II23-25 Dale Street
Tel: (0151) 236 3269
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Moorfields
Station Distance: 150m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Moorfields) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Rebuilt in 1852 with a decorative stucco facing added in 1865. Then in 1922 there was fine makeover which is recorded on the 'must see' fireplace at the rear of the left-hand bar as recorded in its rare, dated inscription: 'Rigby’s. This historic house was renovated and refurbished by Ashby Tarr Ltd in the year One Thousand and Nine Hundred and Twenty-Two'. To this time must date the impressive heavy timbering of the ground-floor exterior and entrance doors with their lovely ironwork. Of the three rooms the most impressive is the ‘Nelson Room’ to the rear, with its oak-panelled walls, brick fireplace, and bell-pushes. Most bar fittings are modern, sadly, from a 2003 refurbishment by Okell's Brewery, Isle of Man The screenwork near the entrance and some dado panelling in both bars survive from this major refit. Thomas Rigby (1815-86) came to Liverpool in 1830 and prospered as a wine and spirits dealer and pub owner. From his day are the ceiling decoration at the rear of the right-hand bar and cast-iron columns may have since lost their casings.
The impressive Rigby's Building was rebuilt in 1852 (despite the date of 1726 on the facade) and decorative stucco facing was added in 1865. Now three rooms. The most impressive is the ‘Nelson Room’ to the rear, with its oak panelled walls, impressive brick fireplace, and bell pushes; unfortunately, integral bench seating was removed during the most recent refitting. The other 'must see' is the fireplace at the rear of the left-hand bar with its carved wood surround with rare inscription commemorating the refitting of the pub: 'Rigby’s. This historic house was renovated and refurbished by Ashby Tarr Ltd in the year One Thousand and Nine Hundred and Twenty-Two'.
Leaded screenwork near the entrance and some dado panelling in both bars also survive from this major refit. Most of the bar fittings are modern dating from a refurbishment in 2003 by owners Okell's Brewery, Isle of Man. Original fittings from the days when the building was a wine and spirits merchants include plaster decoration on the ceiling at the rear of the right bar and the cast-iron columns, which have since lost their casings.