A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed81 Church Lane
Tel: (0161) 427 1529
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: Rose Hill
Station Distance: 750m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Rose Hill) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
At the end of a terrace of 1855, this attractive pub, created in 1920, still retains multiple rooms. It was given a refit between the wars and much of this survives. The panelled central entrance corridor expands into a small, well-used drinking lobby where the counter seems to have been fully shuttered originally (but now only the high-level glazing survives). The most historic of the rooms are the cosy pair at the front with their fixed seating. The small counter in the right-hand one was created in 1999 to replace a hatch. There has been an extension at the rear left to create the long room we see today: its fittings are modern.
Situated at the end of a terrace of stone built houses of 1855 it has been a pub since 1920. It was refitted in the 1930s and the three room and lobby bar layout remains but was subject to a careful extension in 1999. This saw the rear left room almost doubled in size and the toilets brought inside. From the front door a panelled passage leads to the lobby bar on the right which retains its 1930s bar counter and bar-back fitting, but has a new tiled floor. On the front right a doorway with the figure '1' leads to a very small room with original fixed seating, a draught screen by the door, and a hatch was added in 1999.
On the front left a doorway with the figure '2' leads to a small room with 1930s fixed seating with bell pushes all around that until c.2008 were in working order and not too many years ago they were actually responded to! The rear right room was originally just half its present size with fixed seating but was extended back in 1999 by absorbing a private room. Note the leaded rear windows were the external ones prior to 1999. An extension to bring the toilets inside was added then.