A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed98-100 Heaton Moor Road
What counts here is the 1930s remodelling of an early 19th-century pub. Behind the symmetrical, fairly plain facade, is a layout of four rooms with extensive remains from the inter-war period. At the front right is a small snug, on the left the main bar, and behind each of these is a further room (that on the right is the vault). Within these are the original servery with a centrally placed stillion (a structure for bottles, glasses etc), bell-pushes for table service (in both front rooms), fixed seating, stained glass panels, draught screens and some wall-panelling. The gents' still keep the original tiled walls and urinals. Open 2 to 11 Mon to Fri.
When the Crown was built in 1820 it was set back from the neighbouring buildings because of three poplar trees. These were felled and in 1930 the pub was extended by building forwards to line-up with the adjacent buildings and it retains much from a quality refit of that time in four rooms. It has a plain brick and rendered exterior and until 1963 it was part of the estate of Clarke’s Reddish brewery. The inner front door lobby has tiled walls and floor and sizeable vestibule with lots of frosted and plain panels. A sliding hatch in front of you looks appears to be as if for an off-sales but there is no servery behind it! The small snug on the front right has a door with leaded panels, 1930s fixed seating, bell-pushes, by the door is a draught screen with a leaded panel in the top and a 1930s brick fireplace. Service is from a small bar counter which might be a replacement for a hatch. The gents' here has inter-war tiled walls and two old urinals.
The main bar on the front left has a door with leaded panels, 1930s bar counter, 1930s fixed seating, bell-pushes, a draught screen, 1930s brick fireplace and a skylight with colourful stained glass panels. The bar-back fitting is an island 'gantry' with mirrored panels and topped with an unusual large canopy featuring mirrors set an angle with star burst centrepieces (date?). At the rear is a part-glazed screen that reaches to the ceiling and has two panels removed. Beyond the screen is a passage with new black and white tiled floor leading to the ladies' situated through a cut made in the left-hand wall and has modern tiled walls. The rear left room behind the screen has fixed seating (date?), an old bar counter, two draught screens at the rear with frosted panels in the top but no fireplace; also here is an entrance to the servery with a flap at the other end.
The vault at the rear right, which can still be accessed by a door down the passage on the right of the pub, has an old counter, old fixed seating, a draught screen, old dado panelling but no fireplace. The gents' at the rear is intact with inter-war tiled walls and three old urinals. Open 2 to 11 Mon to Fri.