A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: IIGreen Lane
Built in 1828 in anticipation of Liverpool-Manchester railway which opened in 1830, although the internal arrangements are probably late Victorian. Inside the front door is a small, cosy drinking lobby with a hatch-like screen to the serving area in the vault (a name appearing in the window glass). Here the counter seems to be Victorian although the bar-back is a replacement from 1997. Right of the entrance is the snug with draught screens and fixed seating. At the rear of the pub two rooms have been practically turned into one (done in 1996): note the ‘billiards’ and ‘bar parlour’ inscribed in the glass.
Dating it is said 1828 and alongside Patricroft Station on new Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Victoria via St Helens Junction line which opened in 1830 - if driving look for the narrow lane from the north side of the bridge that takes you to the railway line level. The internal arrangements are probably later Victorian. The inner lobby has a tiled floor and dado panelling. On the left the vault has a lino floor, Victorian counter with a screened section just inside the door that has one closed section and a lower panel with etched glass, then two hatch-like windows with glazed panels above all the sections. The bar-back was replaced in 1997, the fixed seating in two sections looks more 1950/1960s. Both the doors in and out at the rear have 'Vault' etched and frosted windows. A small cast-iron fireplace looks old.
An inner door with 'Lounge' etched and frosted but damaged window and a passage opens out to a curiously shaped lobby but the floor tiling implies it has always been like this and has another counter. To the right is the snug with doorway, draught screens either side with etched and frosted panels, an old tiled and wood surround fireplace and fixed seating re-upholstered, also a new 'Snug' window.
The rear two rooms have a wide gap created to practically knock them into one which was done in 1996. On the right the original 'Billiards' etched and frosted panel in the door has been retained and a draught screen with an etched and frosted panel in it, good but refurbished fixed seating and a replacement Victorian-style tiled, cast-iron and wood surround fireplace added. Other good windows include a 'Bar Parlour' one. The left part of the room has a large gap in the wall that separated it from the passage and there is another Victorian-style fireplace, fixed seating but part of a partition wall with a row of glazed panels remain, and another 'Bar Parlour' window. There is a modern hatch/small bar counter added for service to the back of the servery. The ladies' has an old etched panel. Gents' largely old with four big urinals, tiled floor (some new tiles near urinals) and inter-war tiling on the walls. Opens at 7.
The pub was statutory listed in 1988 at the instigation of CAMRA.