Ship

Lancashire - Overton

A historic pub interior of regional importance

This pub is currently closed

Listed Status: Not listed

9 Main Street
Overton
LA3 3HD

Tel: 07979 030196

Email: philipprovince@btinternet.com

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Public Transport: Near Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

The pub occupies a couple of cottages and served as a hotel for Victorian and early 20th-century tourists. The star feature is a shuttered servery (cf. the Agricultural Hotel, Penrith) in the main bar. It has three bays and, like the Penrith example, the sliding sashes are still in full working order. They were presumably lowered when time was called. Two rooms have Victorian coloured tile floors. That in the main bar shows how there must have been a screen and door between the entrance and the bar. The other tiled floor is in the games room (far left). The pub was kept from 1934 to 1976 by Mrs ‘Ma’ Macluskie and the upstairs function room is named in her honour. There you can see an amazing display of birds' eggs for which the pub was long famous (originally displayed on the ground floor). The pub reopened in March 2016 after what seemed permanent closure and has been lovingly restored..

The pub was kept from 1934 to 1976 by Mrs 'Ma' Macluskie, and the upstairs function room is named in her honour. There you can see an amazing display of birds' eggs for which the pub was long famous. They were originally on the ground floor. The pub reopened in March 2016 after what seemed fated to be a permanent closure and has been has been lovingly restored.

This pub reopened in March 2016 after what seemed fated to be a permanent closure and has been has been lovingly restored. The pub was kept from 1934 to 1976 by Mrs Macluskie and is known locally as 'Ma' Macluskie's.

The pub occupies a couple of cottages and used to serve as a hotel for Victorian and early 20th-century tourists. The star feature here is a shuttered servery (cf. the Agricultural Hotel, Penrith) in the main bar. It has three bays and, like the Penrith pub, what is remarkable is that the sliding sashes are still in full working order. How and when they were used in times past is not clear but they were presumably lowered when time was called. It's hard to imagine them being raised and lowered during times of normal service. The bar back fitting was replaced by Thwaites in the late 1990s but the room retains its old fixed seating re-upholstered. The main bar has a Victorian coloured tile floor. That in the main bar is interesting in that it shows how there must have been a screen and door between the entrance and the bar.

To the left of the public bar is a room, now an area following the removal of a wall in the late 1990s, that has a Victorian tiled and cast-iron fireplace. On the walls there was an amazing collection of collages titled 'Eggs of British Birds' in display cases on the wall. Amazingly, these have been restored to the pub and can now be found in the upstairs function room named in honour of Ma' Macluskie.

Beyond the left hand entrance door with its colourful glass panels is a separate room with a sliding door, old fixed seating re-upholstered and a fireplace. Until its closure there were three ancient cast-iron tables inlaid with tiles - two with 4 pictorial tiles of sailing ships anf the third of flowers - which can now be found in the Morecambe Hotel, Morecambe. On the far left is a games room which was formerly Ma McLusky's living room and has a Victorian coloured tile floor.

Read More