A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II37-39 Kirkland
Dating from the early 18th century, this is reputedly the only pub in England built on consecrated ground (it is adjacent to the parish church). The lobby retains its off-sales hatch and a portion of Victorian bench seating whilst the bar on the left has a screened counter with two tiers of stained glass panels. It also has half-height panelled walls, an inter-war fireplace and a well-worn Formica-topped card table. Next is a tiny snug, also panelled and with old bench seating. There's yet more panelling in the lounge at the back and another 1920s fireplace but the counter and seating are modern. The small dining room beyond came into use only recently.
Built 1741 for Thomas Barker, the church sexton, and reputedly the only pub in England to be built on consecrated land. Has three rooms, including a tiny snug. The lobby on the left still has its off-sales hatch but a piece of Victorian bench seating was lost in the flood in 2016. Bar on the left has a screened bar counter with two tiers of stained glasspanels. There was a small draught screen affixed to the counter which was removed about 30 years ago. The walls are half-height panelled, there is an inter-war tiled fireplace, a small piece of old Victorian seating, but the mirrored bar back is modern.
The snug has a partition wall on the bar side, an old hatch, old half-height panelled walls, bench seating which could be inter-war and just one table. At the rear is the lounge with old half-height panelling and an interwar glazed brick and cast-iron fireplace. On the external windows are various inscriptions - one dated 1824. The bar counter and bench seating are recent additions. Beyond is a small dining room on two levels has been brought into use recently.