A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: II97 Lairgate
Tel: (01482) 869040
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Beverley
Station Distance: 650m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Beverley) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
A very old licensed premises which was significantly refurbished in 1931 by architects Wheatley & Holdsworth for Darley’s brewery (its owners for most of the twentieth century). The Thirties scheme largely kept faith with the previous layout of public bar, smoke room and central corridor with hatch, at the same time incorporating the back bar parlour and dispensing with an old off-sales. However, a 2017 refurbishment has left the snug, rear left, as the main reason for inclusion here. Formed by two very old settles, it has old dado panelling with wall benches attached plus a 1930s brick fireplace with wood surround. A hatch has been cut to the back of the servery in modern times.
18th century building re-fronted in 1930s brewers’ Tudor style and significantly refurbished in 1931 for Darley's brewery. In 2017 a refurbishment has had a significant effect on the historic feel of the interior leaving the snug at the rear left as the main reason for inclusion here.
The Thirties scheme largely kept faith with the previous layout of public bar, smoke room and central corridor with hatch, at the same time incorporating the back bar parlour and dispensing with an old off-sales. This layout survives today, including the corridor, the boarded ceilings, the smoke room on the left (now called the restaurant), and bar parlour (now called the snug). A further room at the rear right has been added from a former living room.
The lobby has a dado of 1930s tiling all around it and the original cast-iron exterior gates survive. The door on the right leads to the public bar where the bar fittings were of no great age but the replacement ones are a very modern bar back and rough hewn timber bar counter. The old fixed seating has been removed and replaced by narrow booths created by short modern partitions with space for just two stools, and there is some high fixed seating on the right.
The left hand door from the lobby has been out of use for some years. The door ahead leads into a passage that runs to the rear and there are signs of an off-sales on the right. A door on the left of the passage leads to the former smoke room (now the restaurant) which retains its 1930s fixed seating re-leatheretted, some old dado paneling painted a deep red, but it has a new brick and wood surround fireplace.
At the end of the passage a door on the right leads to a corridor running along the rear and here is the snug formed by two very old settles, also old dado paneling with wall benches attached – all painted black. There is a 1930s brick fireplace with a wood surround (no fire) where the brick and walls above the paneling are painted a gastro-green colour. In modern times a hatch has been cut in the wall to the back of the servery. The small room on the rear right accessed via a doorway from the rear corridor and a door from the public bar has some dado paneling (age?) painted turquioise but no old fittings.