A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: C1410-1416 Shettleston Road
Tel: (0141) 778 2368
View on: Whatpub
The exterior may not look much but this is a welcoming corner-site local. It has a substantially intact Edwardian interior with a typically Glasgow island-bar arrangement, probably laid out after the pub was taken over by the Neilson family in 1903. The right-hand door leads into a self-contained ‘family department’. The main entrance is on the left and has a small vestibule inside. There is a narrow bar fronting the road and to the right of this is an L-shaped drinking area running round the servery. On the far left are a couple of sitting rooms and between them an annunciator box with three discs, which suggest there was originally an extra sitting room, now taken by the ladies’ toilet. In the middle of the servery is a low island gantry with a couple of drawers for takings, predating the advent of the electronic till. There appears to have been a refit in the post-war period, whence the mosaic floor and the loss of doors.
An old single-storey pub with possibly the most intact Glasgow-style island bar interior. It has one of the few remaining 'family departments' (off-sales) in the city and two small sitting rooms on the left. The left-hand door has a vestibule entrance with doors to the left and right, where a partition creates a separate bar at the front of the pub. The original carved island gantry still has two old till drawers, one of which retains the small lead containers for coins. The original island counter has a Formica top placed over the original.
The right-hand exterior door leads into the intact family department, formed by two part-glazed partition. The only other way to enter this tiny room is via the very rare 90cm (3 feet) high door at the rear of the bar, originally for cleaning staff to access it without going outside. The dado is panelled throughout, and there are two tiled fireplaces in the bar area and another in the front sitting room, which are difficult to date - they are either just pre- or post-war.
The sitting rooms with numbers '2' and '3' above them have old bell-pushes and there are no signs the rooms ever had doors. The inside toilets were added in the 1950s and, as the old bell-box on the wall with three windows indicates, there was almost certainly a third sitting room, which is where the ladies' toilet now is. The floor throughout is probably a piece of 1960s work made up of small tile pieces. The original Art Nouveau etched windows have been replaced.