A historic pub interior of regional importance
This pub is currently closed (since 31/07/2021)
Listed Status: IIKingmoor Road, Etterby
Built for the State Management Scheme and opened on 1 October 1940. It was named in honour of Harry Redfern (1861-1950), the Scheme’s architect from 1916, and was designed in Arts & Crafts style by his assistant Joseph Seddon (with Redfern's collaboration). Since then, the counter in the public bar has been extended and there has been much wall removal wall between the right-hand front room and that behind (originally known as a ‘tea and smoking room’). Some fireplaces have also been replaced. However, much wooden panelling survives along with a wealth of detail, such as the door furniture, so there is still much to cherish here. The bowling green has been out of use for a number of years and is under threat from development.
Designed by Joseph Seddon for the State Management Scheme, and named after Harry Redfern, the Scheme’s original architect; opened 1940. On an irregular shaped site at a road junction, with bowling green behind (not in use as at August 2016 only a pub garden). Red brick building in ‘Arts and Crafts’ style. Public bar to left, smoking room to right, with a further room (formerly the ‘tea and smoking room’) to the rear entered via the lounge. Comparison with the plan published in The Renaissance of the English Public House shows that the bar counter in the public bar has been extended, and that the dividing wall between the smoking room and the room to the rear has largely been removed. Some fireplaces have also been replaced. However, the pub retains wooden panelling in all rooms, and a wealth of detail such as door furniture. This is the best preserved State Management pub after the Cumberland Inn, Carlisle.Read More