A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: B165-167 Perth Road
At the base of a four-storey tenement, the Speedwell has a lovely Edwardian interior of 1903 by architects John Bruce & Son for the property developer James Speed, whose name is enshrined in the mosaic at the entrance (his initials also appear at the top of the building opposite). The ‘well’ in the name is because the pub was said to be built on the site of one. It comprises two distinct parts. Right of the central entrance is a large L-shaped bar, which has a most impressive four-tier mirrored gantry. This bar is split into two by a low screen and also has an ornate Jacobean ceiling. To the left are a couple of rooms separated by a glazed screen. Both have wall-panelling, original fireplaces and bell-pushes but the seating is modern. The gents’ is worth a look for their Edwardian lavatorial excellence of mosaic flooring, white tiling, Shanks’ ‘Odourless’ urinals and cistern. At the back of the servery are a couple of dials, the remnants of the old air pressure beer dispense system. The pub has been owned and run by the Stewart family since 1995. Customers are welcome to bring their own food in from neighbouring shops. The pub is still commonly known as ‘Mennie’s’ after the family that kept it from the 1920s to 1995.
This pub has one of the finest intact Edwardian pub interiors in the country. The original mahogany multi-bay back gantry faces two ways at right angles and holds some 160 single malt whiskies. Mennie's, named after the family that ran the pub for 50 years, was built in 1903 by architects John Bruce & Son for William Speed & Sons in the ground floor of a four-storey tenement building.
The bar is split into two by a low, part-glazed screen with a door in the middle. The L-shaped mahogany bar counter has three other short glazed partitions attached. The bar has dado panelled walls and a decorative Anaglypta Jacobean ceiling which has originally painted red but has been changed to white following the introduction of the smoking ban in Scotland. It retains its original fireplace, good cornice work, a pargetted frieze and a bell-push.
On the left side are two sitting rooms with a glazed screen between them. They both have original dado panelling, fireplaces and some bell pushes, but the seating is modern. The vestibule entrance, doors and partitions have etched glass panels, a number of which are original. Even the toilets retain their original large Shanks 'Odourless' urinals, original cistern, white tiled walls and mosaic floor.