Clep Bar

Tayside - Dundee

A historic pub interior of national importance

Listed Status: B

96-98 Clepington Road
Dundee
DD3 7SW

Tel: (01382) 819957

Email: Clepbar@gmail.com

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Behind the simple single-storey exterior is a truly superb survival. The pub was built (or was perhaps created out of a pair of shops) for Thomas Fitzpatrick, spirit dealer, in 1940-1. It was probably designed by J. MacLellan Brown, the city architect. The dating is very unusual since pub-building generally came to an abrupt full-stop after the outbreak of war. The layout of public bar, lounge, and jug and bottle is just as it was originally. The public bar is U-shaped and has a projecting fireplace behind which are the tiny loos, entered through very narrow doors: the gents, still has original tiling. This main bar has original three-quarter-height panelled walls, plus counter and gantry. The fixed bench seating has a number of solid wooden dividers and the typically Scottish little fixed tables are original too. The delightful lounge also has partitions forming seating bays, more small fixed tables and panelling, together with leaded windows, including one advertising Bernard’s Edinburgh Ales. There are working bell-pushes and those in the lounge are still responded to.

Behind the simple single-storey exterior is a truly superb survival. It was built for Thomas Fitzpatrick, spirit dealer in 1940-1 and was probably designed by J. MacLellan Brown, the city architect,. The dating is very unusual since pub-building generally came to an abrupt full-stop with the outbreak of war. The layout of public bar, lounge, and jug and bottle is just as it was originally. There are working bell-pushes in all three rooms and the those in the lounge are still responded to with table service. The public bar is U-shaped around a tiled fireplace with the toilets behind (note the amazingly narrow entrance doors). It has three-quarter-height panelled walls throughout, the original bar counter and back gantry. The fixed bench seating has a number of solid wooden dividers and the tables are original. The totally unaltered small lounge has partitions forming seating bays, more panelling and leaded windows including one advertising 'Bernard’s Edinburgh Ales'. Wood-panelled passages with terrazzo floor into both the public bar and the off-sales on the right, which is still open except in cold weather.

Read More