Old Toll Bar

Greater Glasgow & Clyde Valley - Glasgow

A historic pub interior of national importance

Listed Status: B

1-3 Paisley Road West
Glasgow
G51 1LF

Tel: (0141) 258 4830

Real ale & Cider: Real Ale

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Anderston) and Bus Stop

View on: Whatpub

Glasgow's finest pub interior, situated in the ground floor of a three-storey tenement built in 1860 and remodelled in 1892-3. One hundred years ago, there were many ornate pubs like this throughout the city, as publicans went to great lengths to outshine their competitors at a time when skilled labour was cheap. This is one of the last remaining Victorian 'palace pubs' in Glasgow; sadly, similar interiors have been ripped out in recent times only to be replaced by poorer quality modern fittings. The large bar has a magnificent dark wooden back gantry incorporating two sets of four whisky casks either side of a mirrored centrepiece, a pediment and central clock. There was a tier of smaller barrels in the recess below the large barrels but they were removed some time ago. The original long bar counter with some part glazed short partitions has a new polished stone top.

Glasgow's finest pub interior, situated in the ground floor of a three-storey tenement built in 1860 and remodelled in 1892-3. One hundred years ago, there were many ornate pubs like this throughout the city, as publicans went to great lengths to outshine their competitors at a time when skilled labour was cheap. This is one of the last remaining Victorian 'palace pubs' in Glasgow; sadly, similar interiors have been ripped out in recent times only to be replaced by poorer quality modern fittings. The large bar has a magnificent dark wooden back gantry incorporating two sets of four whisky casks either side of a mirrored centrepiece, a pediment and central clock. There was a tier of smaller barrels in the recess below the large barrels but they were removed some time ago. The original long bar counter with some part glazed short partitions has a new polished stone top.

On the dark wood panelled walls are four superb huge advertising mirrors painted and gilded by Forest & Son of Glasgow, one of the largest suppliers of decorated mirrors in the UK in the 1890s. On the right-hand wall of the bar are ones for 'Robert Younger's of Edinburgh 90/- Ales'; 'Black & Gold the Aristocrat of Whiskies' and another for Wm McEwan. On the rear left wall is one for 'Very Old Vintage Port & Brandy, Champagne, Clarets'. Note the colourful painted windows on the two sets of inner doors and in the vestibule entrance on Admiral Street, where a jug and bottle was originally situated. Other original features include a panelled ceiling, carved woodwork, mahogany panels above the seating; there are only modern fittings in the downstairs lounge bar.

Read More