Listed Status: Not listed7 Clerkenwell Close
Tel: (020) 7336 7234
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: Farringdon
Station Distance: 400m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Farringdon) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
All elements of historic interest removed during refurbishment
The former description is shown below
Rebuilt 1871 for Mann, Crossman & Paulin, a three-storey pub of London Stock brick, curved to match the road. Had a significant refurbishment in 1938 which is the date of the tiled ground frontage of dark green on the dado and cream above. Three doors (right hand one blocked up) indicate a multi-roomed interior originally, possibly less after the inter-war refit but now a single room. Has Crittal windows with a number of Mann Crossman & Paulin brewery centrally placed panels in windows with wording in gold on a dark green background – from left three with ‘Wines’; ‘Mann Crossman & Paulin Ltd.’ and above it their symbol of St George & the dragon; ‘Spirits’; also on the right two with a red St George & the dragon symbol in one (the other is plain/lost).
The bar counter is an inter-war one of fielded panelling and tapered – look for the door that was used to service beer engines. There is a chequer-board tiled trough around the counter base. The bar back fitting looks an inter-war one with detail on the uprights holding up the shelves. Look for the figure ‘4’ on the door at the rear of the servery – a requirement of licensing magistrates. On the left of the room is a wood surround and narrow brick fireplace that looks inter-war with a log fire. There is some fielded panelling on the dado painted black; a fine 1920s bentwood bench but one fireplace on the right has been lost.
A stud wall has been added in front of the toilets at the rear left to create a passage – the ladies’ has inter-war tiling to half-height; the gents’ has inter-war tiling to half-height but some have been replaced with new tiles.