A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed28 Winchester Road, Twickenham
Imposing corner pub built in 1902 (by TH Novell Parr for Fullers Brewery?) of red brick with a brown tiled dado and corner turret. Note the stone carved heads at the top of windows on the St Margarets Grove side and frieze above a bay window on the Winchester Road side now picked out in gold.
Now open plan it retains the original panelled bar counter recently painted a gastro blue-grey colour but the bar top looks like a recent addition as does the bar back fitting. The walls of the whole pub have original fielded panelling to two-thirds height. On the left is a trademark TH Nowell Parr wide arch, Victorian reproduction fireplace and bare wood floor. Lots of stained glass windows throughout and some original doors.
On the far right on the Winchester Road side is a lobby with floor to ceiling glazed brick – dark brown on the dado and cream above. The door here has a circular ‘Private’ Edwardian deep etched glass panels. The left hand door of the lobby has a ‘Saloon Lounge’ circular panel. At the north end of the building is the Winchester Room, which looks like a later addition with an old wood floor and stage but the bar looks like a recent addition.