One star - A pub interior of special national historic interest
Listed Status: Not listed322 New Cross Road
Tel: (020) 8692 3140
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: New Cross
Station Distance: 300m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (New Cross) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
A significant refit by Charringtion's around 1936 gave us the glazed stone ground floor (but now painted green) including the two ‘House of Toby’ ceramic signs, panelled bar counters, and a bar-back with the brewery's signage.
This is a mid-Victorian three-storey locals' pub where the existence of three exterior doors are evidence of the former multi-room layout. The vestibule entrance at the front/apex looks inter-war, but the glazing is modern. There's an island servery with a Charrington's island bar-back at its centre with the wording at the top on both sides of “Ales Charrington Stout’ with small panels left and right with ‘Wines’ and ‘Spirits’ Although the wording has been painted over it is just about visible, especially at the back area where the wording can be seen by the clever, or perhaps fortunate, positioning of a mirror.
The counter front has fielded panelling at the rear and vertical panelling at the front; the bar top has a melamine inlaid top, and there's a dumb waiter on the bar top. There's fielded panelling on the rear wall matching that on the bar counter front, with some vertical panelling around the lower sections of the windows at the front also matching the counter front there. One section of original fixed seating with a wood back survives, as does an inter-war wood surround fireplace on the New Cross Road side, but is now blocked in.
In July 2017 a mural was painted on the exterior of this prominent pub on an angled road junction called "(By the Way)" commissioned by Artmongers. Spanning over six weeks, 30 volunteers took it in turns to help Patricio Forrester create the artwork.
Mid Victorian three –storey brick pub called ‘Marquis Museum’ (which advertised “Curios of every description”) when owned by Hoare & Co. It was subject to a significant refit by Charringtons in c.1936 and the glazed stone ground floor was added including the two ‘House of Toby’ ceramic signs on the far left and right of the ground floor – the Toby symbol was owned by Hoare & Co. who were taken over by Charringtons in 1934. (Information from Brockley Central and elsewhere).
This locals pub has an island style interior and the existence of 4 exterior doors are evidence of the former multi-room layout. In around the mid 1990s a partition from the former door on New Cross Road side to the bar counter and another partition was situated in the south west corner of the pub where there was a gents’ toilet.
The counter has a fielded panelled front on the rear side and one of vertical panelling that looks more like a 1950s style on the front side; the bar top has a melamine inlaid top. The island gantry looks original with the wording at the top on both sides of “Ales Charrington Stout’ with small panels left and right with ‘Wines’ and ‘Spirits’ but most wording has been painted over but the east side main wording can be seen by the clever positioning of a mirror. Pot shelf is modern. There is a dumb waiter on the bar top, one section of original fixed seating with a wood back, and an inter-war wood surround fireplace on the front left but it has a modern interior (fireplace at ear right is modern).
Near the remaining in use door on Lewisham Way are two baffles which contained trade-mark Charringtons inter-war leaded glazed panels.
The exterior of this prominent pub on an angled road junction was in July 2017 subjected to a mural called (By the Way) commissioned by Artmongers. Spanning over six weeks, 30 volunteers took it in turns to help Patricio Forrester create the artwork. See Anthology .