A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: II460 New Cross Road
C.1848 rendered building of three storeys with a huge, framed name panel at the top, and single storey at the rear. On the far left is an exterior porch with colourful Victorian tiled floor and on the left hand side is floor to ceiling late Victorian tiling with the dado treated differently to the top part which has a tiled panel of floral designs. The double doors (not currently in use) have ‘Public Bar’ in deep cut glass panels. The ground floor is of wood and across the centre of the exterior windows are unusual narrow glazed panels, some curved around a bay window; however, some glazing is replacement for the c.1900 originals. On the Florence Street side on the dado are two colourful tiled panels. The corner doors have ‘Saloon Bar’ etched glass panels. Five exterior doors are evidence of the former multi-room layout.
The present single L-shaped interior retains a good bar back fitting of four bays with a wooden carved frieze along the top and three mirrored panels in each bay with deep cut glass patterns. The columns holding up the shelves are of three styles – fairly plain at the bottom, barley twist in the middle and ornate with Corinthian capital at the top. Lower shelving has been lost to fridges. The bar counter is likely to be, at least partly, original but it modern front panels. The interior is opened-up at the rear where there is an open kitchen and on the left a wood surround and tiled fireplace. Above is a modern skylight which may indicate this once housed a billiard room?