A historic pub interior which was of national or regional importance where the interior has been ruined
Listed Status: Not listed340-342 Essex Road
Interior completely gutted
The former description is below
Re-built c.1938 of brick, it was refurbished in c.1959 and retains much of its historic layout and fittings.
It still retains a separate room in the single storey part of the pub on the left with a bare wooden floor, a dado of distinct 1950s concave panelling on the walls, and an inter-war fielded panelled bar counter on a plinth with an apron of small inter-war tiles around it. The vestibule appears post-war and the bar back fitting is of late 1950s design with mirror mosaic and “Toby Stout” and “Wines & Spirits” illuminated panels at the top. There is an intact inter-war gents toilet with dado panelling here but currently not in use. A door leads to the main bar on the right.
The former off-sales was between this room and the main bar. The former hatch has been blocked off but the shelving and Toby Jug logo can be seen behind the first room's bar counter. The main bar is now an L-shaped room with a dado of distinct 1950s concave panelling in the left / front area and on the right the walls have fielded panelling from inter-war times. Both the front facing and right hand side bar counters are from inter-war times on plinths with ‘piano keys style’ tiled aprons in front. The bar back fitting is of late 1950s design with mirror mosaic and “Wines”, "Ales Charringtons Stout” and “Spirits” illuminated panels at the top facing to the front; and “Toby Ale’ and “Wines & Spirits” ones on the right hand side. There is a section of the counter at the right hand corner with no apron indicating changes in the late 1950s. Apart from this section of counter all tops are from inter-war times. The room has a bare wood floor, an inter-war vestibule (panelling may be post-war?) and a dumb waiter on the right of the servery.
A wide gap (i.e. a room division lost) leads to the rear right room with a parquet floor and fielded panelling to three-quarters height. A small counter has been added in modern times and painted white. Note the ladies toilet door almost hidden in the panelling. The gents retains its dado of inter-war tiles in the ante-room, modern tiles in the urinal area, and inter-war tiled dado in the WC.