Grosvenor

Greater London West - Hanwell

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: II

127 Oaklands Road
Hanwell
W7 2DT

OS ref: TQ1617979970

Tel: (020) 8840 0007

Email: grosvenor@foodandfuel.co.uk

Website http://www.foodandfuel.co.uk/our-pubs/the-grosvenor-hanwell/

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: West Ealing

Station Distance: 950m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (West Ealing) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

A fine pub of 1904 for the Royal Brewery of Brentford, probably by famous architect T.H. Nowell Parr. Originally at least four rooms and an off-sales, now reduced to two. Corner doors lead to the main L-shaped bar. The original counter remains with a bulbous front and along the base a row of tiles of different colours, no doubt indicating the extent of the original spaces. The central door on Oaklands Road may have led to an off-sales but any partitioning is lost.

A part-glazed, floor-to-ceiling partition leads to the snug on the front left. It has a counter and bar-back

Behind the main bar is a dining area, following the loss of partitions. Bar staff say there was a counter just beyond the present counter and it was removed in 2014 – if you look at the fielded panelling on the partition here and on the back wall it looks modern as it is different to that on the wall to the right so it appears a bar-back has also been lost. All the panelling here has been painted a deep green. The panelling in front of the toilets is also a modern addition. Good Art Nouveau glazing in the upper parts of the windows.

Built 1904 (in stone high up on corner, Grosvenor Road side) for Royal Brewery (Brentford) Ltd. (note the ‘RBC’ monograms in plaster above the windows on the Oaklands Road side), the architect was almost certainly Thomas H. Nowell Parr. It is of two storeys with brown glazed stone on the ground floor. Originally it had at least four rooms and an off-sales but there are now only two distinctively separate rooms. Corner doors lead to the main L-shaped bar with a bare wood floor and fielded panelling now painted a deep green. The original three-sided bar counter remains with its bulbous front and along the base a row of tiles which are of different colours no doubt indicating the extent of the original rooms, also a black and white mosaic apron all around. The original timber and mirrored bar-back faces in three directions (some lower shelves lost to fridges). The central door on Oaklands Road side looks as though it led to an off-sales but the partitioning has been lost.

A part-glazed floor-to-ceiling partition with some leaded panels and doorway leads to the snug on the front left. It has a bare wood floor and fielded panelling to two-thirds height still with its original stain. It has the bar counter and bar-back as above and an apparently inter-war brick fireplace, painted black. The short partition/screen with fielded panelling near the toilets in the rear left area looks old.

To the rear of the main bar is what is now a dining area following the loss of partitions. Bar staff say there was a bar counter just beyond the main counter and it was removed in 2014 – if you take a look at the fielded panelling on the partition here and on the back wall it looks newer as it is different to that on the wall to the right and it appears that a bar-back has also been lost. All the fielded panelling in this area has been painted a deep green. The panelling in front of the toilets is also a modern addition. Good Art Nouveau glazing in the upper parts of the windows.

There is also an upstairs function room with a beamed mansard ceiling and painted fielded panelling to dado height.

Read More