A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed9 Market Place
Tel: (020) 8363 6117
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Enfield Chase
Station Distance: 600m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Enfield Chase) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Built 1899 by Cannon Brewery. Appears to have the original island bar back, as well as some very good original deep cut glass in windows and doors - ‘Kings Head Hotel’ with floral designs and ‘Saloon’ in vestibule door. The bar back in the rear saloon bar looks old. In the billiards room at the rear there's a fine skylight having a frieze of designs including faces in deep relief. The upstairs function room has two Victorian-style fireplaces.
Built 1899 by Cannon Brewery, who obtained a 80 year lease from the Enfield Parochial Trust, the building is twin gabled with tile hung upper storeys and polished stone ground floor. It reopened in 2010 after 3 years closed.
The front U-shaped bar was originally three small bars until the 1970s when an opening was created into what is now the snug (originally a private bar). Appears to have the original island bar back / gantry but the bar counter doesn’t look like a Victorian original one and the elaborate pot shelf is definitely modern. Has some very good original deep cut glass in windows and doors with ‘Kings Head Hotel’ with floral designs and ‘Saloon’ in vestibule door. There are replacement Victorian-style fireplaces and all the screens look modern.
A wide doorway leads to the rear saloon where, again, the bar back looks old and in Gary Boudier’s excellent book on Enfield pubs he states “In 1936 a new counter was installed in the rear saloon and the floor in the bar area was lowered 6 inches.“ There are gaps to the former Billiard Room at the rear with a fine skylight having a frieze of designs including faces in deep relief. Twin door with ‘Billiards’ lead out to a door servery with a ledge across it for service. Upstairs function room has two Victorian-style fireplaces.
Counter fronts – Saloon is a copy; Rear Left is a copy.
Please note the Market Place can be used for parking but it is owned by the Old Enfield Charitable Trust who make a charge at certain times of day.
Historic information from A-Z of Enfield Pub's Part 1 by Gary Boudier (2000)