A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed26 Wenlock Road
Established in 1835, it survived attempts to be converted into housing in 2013 and retains fittings from the late Victorian period. The bare wood floor single room has two modest columns with capitals holding up the ceiling – the mosaic floors in the entrance doors have ‘Wenlock Arms’ and ‘Private Bar’ wording indicating a loss of partitions. There is an island-style bar counter with curved edges – note the three cupboards in the front (the pot shelf is modern). It also retains a Victorian island bar back fitting (where fridges have replaced the lower shelving) as well as a back fitting – both with mirrored panels, some narrow and reaches the ceiling. There is a brick fireplace of no great age, fixed seating looks old but re-leatheretted, and a good ‘Wenlock Famous Ales and Stouts’ mirror.