This two-room pub is included as a rare and good example of post-war furnishing. The interest is the lounge on the right which is work of around 1960. In those days Formica was a popular material, hence the dominant feature of the gently curved bar counter (it is deep pink, having faded from bright red over the years). The servery is covered by a canopy, again popular at this time, and the original lettering, naming the pub and its then owners, Courage, survives. The room has simple panelling and an attractive alcove at the rear. The public bar was refitted a few years ago when its buff-coloured counter front was replaced along with a change to the wall-panelling. The wood-block floor dates from the 1930s.
What is remarkable about the Woodman is that it retains an intact two-room interior dating from c.1959 and with fitting out so typical of its time.
The lounge has a rare and distinctive interior with bar fittings from c.1959 and panelling etc. from the inter-war period. This new lounge was created on the right-hand side of the building, in what was previously private accommodation. The bar counter is gently curved and has a front of pink Formica panels divided by black strips; a pink Formica counter top which extends onto the main shelf of the bar back, the pink being faded from the original bright red – the original colour can be seen on the underside of the hatch for staff. The bar-back has a backing of mirror glass mosaic of a style popular in the 1960s to which shelves are attached. Look for the c.1959 till drawer on the bar back. The whole room has fielded panelling to just above half-height and an inter-war brick fireplace with a wooden mantle and there is some bay window seating of similar age. Both the gents' and ladies' have not changed since c.1959 with a dado of inter-war-style tiling of cream with one narrow strip of purple. All the doors are from the inter-war period.
On the left, prior to 1959, the public area occupied the floor plan of the present public bar, and consisted of a tiny public bar (left) and an equally small lounge bar. Where the division between the two lay is easy to envisage. The present public bar seems to have been re-floored with herringbone blocks while the counter front, counter top and the bar-back were both given Formica finishes in a light fawn colour and there are two bar-back fittings that have a backing of mirror glass mosaic. and the main shelf is of a light fawn colour. Look for the c.1959 till drawer on the bar back. The fireplace looks to be of inter-war brick, but dado panelling is difficult to date. Part of the old public bar is now the toilets – note how the servery extends further to the left than the bar counter. The gents’ and ladies’ toilets on the public bar side retain their c.1959 tiling but this is due to be replaced in 2015 due to damaged tiles. The figures ‘1’ and ‘2’ can be found on the doors to the public bar and lounge bar respectively.