We’re excited to introduce our newly revamped website designed to enhance your journey through the world of beer, cider, perry and historic pub interiors. Try the new site at https://www1.camra.org.uk/heritage-pubs. We recommend bookmarking this link.

Dove

Pub Heritage Group have recently carried out a regrading of Real Heritage Pubs - click here for full details

Greater London West - Hammersmith

Three star - A pub interior of outstanding national historic importance

Listed Status: II

19 Upper Mall
Hammersmith
W6 9TA

Tel: (020) 8748 9474

Email: dove@fullers.co.uk

Website https://www.dovehammersmith.co.uk/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheDoveW6

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: Kensington Olympia

Station Distance: 1900m

Public Transport: Near Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Probably built in the early to mid-18th century and then refronted in the 19th. Its amazingly tiny snug, with match-boarded counter and fixed wall benches, is claimed by the Guinness World Records as the smallest public bar in Britain, and probably dates from 1911. The front left-hand room is also barely changed in over 100 years. Some of the woodwork in the pub, along with that in the vestibule, might even go back to the 18th century and, if so, could be some of the earliest purpose-built pub fittings around. Post-war repairs in 1948 saw the addition of the substantial brick fireplace with its exuberant Portland stone carving of the dove returning to Noah’s Ark with an olive branch.

Celebrated far and wide, the Fuller’s owned Dove overlooks the Thames and is approached by a narrow alley from the river. It was probably built in the early to mid-18th century and then refronted in the 19th. Its amazingly tiny snug, with match-boarded counter and fixed wall benches, is claimed by the Guinness World Records as the smallest public bar in Britain. However, research by beer writer Martyn Cornell suggests it may not be as old as one might think. He believes it was installed some time after 1911 by the then licensee who thought his single-room, fully licensed premises contravened the Licensing Consolidation Act of 1910 and so he created the diminutive snug to rectify matters. However, he needn’t have bothered, Cornell argues, since, if a single-room, fully licensed house had existed before 1872 (as was the case with the Dove), the Act did not make it a necessity to put in a second room. However, had you been drinking here on 7 January 1928 you’d have been waist-high in water judging by a small brass plaque recording that day’s mighty inundation. The other front room is historic too in terms of its wall seating and counter.

Some of the woodwork here, along with that in the vestibule, might even go back to the 18th century and, if so, could be some of the earliest purpose-built pub fittings around. Post-war repairs in 1948 saw the addition of the substantial brick fireplace with its exuberant Portland stone carving of the dove returning to Noah’s Ark with an olive branch. The rear room at the Dove is modern but the terrace beyond overlooking the Thames is a delightful place to enjoy a drink on a fine day.

Full Description