Rebuilt in 1898-9 by architects Gardiner & Theobald in an eclectic Dutch-cum-Renaissance revival style. It’s a tall building on a small corner site which suggests the presence of a pub here for a very long time. The ground floor bar has been opened out into a long, single space but originally would have had a couple of drinking areas. The row of columns, glazed screenwork and different levels halfway down the bar suggest a partition at this point. Various good-quality fittings survive and the date of 1900 carved into the bar-back is a helpful record of when they were put in. The bar-back itself has 17th-century-style detail and lots of round arches. The counter has a series of unusually detailed panels with circle motifs. At the rear of the pub is some excellent etched and polished glass, including a reset panel announcing ‘saloon bar’. The ceiling decoration is very pleasing work with square panels and delicate swirling foliage. The rather ungainly structures sitting on the counters are modern pastiche.