Tucked away up an alleyway and rebuilt in 1873–4. A large timber and glass screen divides the front two bars. It has five chromolithographs of interesting and unusual , if sentimental, paintings by the Belgian artist, Jan Van Beers. The public bar (left) has incorporated the former private bar. The counter and bar-back are original as are the strips of tilework in both front bars, along with the metal fire surrounds and the decorated cornice. The rear parts are modern.
A careful refurbishment by Young’s in 2007 achieved a good balance between the needs of drinkers and diners at this famous Hampstead pub. It is up an alleyway right in the heart of Hampstead village and was rebuilt in 1873-4 by architects, Cumming & Nixon. The historic parts are at the front and what makes them special is the timber and glass screen dividing the two bars. On the saloon side it carries five chromolithographs of delightfully sentimental paintings by the Belgian artist, Jan Van Beers (1852-1927), whose name and partially obscured date ‘188?’ appear on the one nearest the street. Van Beers specialised in this kind of work and it quite clearly appealed mightily to the landlord of the day. Above are etched glass panels with swirling patterns and birds. The public bar (left) is now larger than it once was, having incorporated the former private bar (so-named in the side door glass). It’s a pity that the front windows have been replaced with plain panes. The counter and bar-back are original and other features to note are the strips of tilework in both front bars, the extraordinary cast-iron column in the public bar, the metal fire surrounds (particularly ornate in the saloon), the decorated cornice and clocks on either side of the screen. The rear parts are almost exclusively modern.