We’re excited to introduce our newly revamped website designed to enhance your journey through the world of beer, cider, perry and historic pub interiors. Try the new site at https://www1.camra.org.uk/heritage-pubs. We recommend bookmarking this link.

Elderfield

Pub Heritage Group have recently carried out a regrading of Real Heritage Pubs - click here for full details

Greater London East - Clapton

One star - A pub interior of special national historic interest

Listed Status: Not listed

57 Elderfield Road
Clapton
E5 0LF

Tel: (020) 8986 1591

Website https://www.theelderfield.co.uk/index

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheElderfield

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Nearby Station: Hackney Downs

Station Distance: 1150m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Hackney Downs) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

This three-storey Victorian corner-site pub dates back to c1869, still retaining its separate saloon and public bars with decor from an inter-war fitting.

High on the side of this pub, formerly the Priory Tavern, is the Toby Jug emblem that betrays its origins as a Charrington's house. It was given a major makeover in about 1935 which is what forms the real interest today. The ground floor received a grey larvikite facing and the whole interior was refitted. The former saloon bar, on the Blurton Road side,  is notable for its characteristic two-thirds height ribbed lightwood panelling and a large circular ceiling feature for concealed lighting. Just inside the entrance is a large baffle. The counter  sweeps forward in an elegant concave quarter circle, and  the appearance of its stepped front matches the panelling. The bar-back and fire surround are from the same scheme but the overmantel has been altered and the tiling is modern. There is a beautifully veneered door to the ladies’ loo and the lettering over is probably original, but both loos have been refitted. The flooring repays attention: there’s an intricate scheme of small blocks of wooden oblongs.

The former public bar, which can be accessed through a walkway, has much less of interest and is partly old – such as the bar counter and parquet flooring – and partly new. Markings on the floor clearly show that there was once a small, separate compartment: perhaps this was an off-sales area but quite how it linked to the servery is unclear.

This three-storey Victorian corner-site pub dates back to the 1860s when the area was being developed. It was given a major makeover in about 1935 which is what forms the real interest today. The ground floor received a grey granite facing and the whole interior was refitted. Entering from the Blurton Road side, the bar there is notable with characteristic two-thirds-height panelling and a large circular feature for concealed lighting. The counter steps forward in three stages. The bar-back and fire surround are from the same scheme but the overmantel has been altered. There are beautifully veneered doors to the loos and the lettering over is probably original. The ladies’ has been refitted but the gents’ has its original tiling although some TLC is perhaps needed to recapture the true spirit of the 1930s.

The other, larger bar, now accessed through a walkway, has much less of interest and is partly old – such as the bar counter and herring-bone woodblock floor – and partly new. Markings on the floor clearly show that there was once a small, separate compartment: perhaps this was an off-sales area but quite how it linked to the servery is unclear.

Full Description