Earl Of Essex

Greater London East - Manor Park

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: II

616 Romford Road
Manor Park
E12 5AF

Tel: (020) 7478 7400

View on: Whatpub

An imposing Edwardian corner pub of 1902 by architects W E Trent and Henry Poston for one Joseph Hill. It is a lavish architectural display with a corner turret and a couple of first floor balconies. Though rather dilapidated, it retains three distinct areas gathered round a central servery. The large room fronting High Street North is split by a timber and glass screen but originally it would have been further subdivided – see the multiple doors from the rather grand, mosaic-floored entrance and the changes in bar counter design.

An imposing Edwardian corner pub of 1902 by architects W E Trent and Henry Poston for one Joseph Hill. It is a lavish architectural display with a corner turret and a couple of first floor balconies. Though rather dilapidated, it retains three distinct areas gathered round a central servery. The large room fronting High Street North is split by a timber and glass screen but originally it would have been further subdivided – see the multiple doors from the rather grand, mosaic-floored entrance and the changes in bar counter design.

The least-altered part is the delightful private bar off Romford Road – currently used for storage but retaining its fittings, even down to a glazed display cabinet. Behind comes a large, dark area, probably once a billiard room, with a blocked skylight and deep cornice. The original servery fittings include an unusual bar-back with sub-Jacobean detail, built-in clock and mirrored panels. There is also good ceiling decoration, a little etched glass and three very striking fireplaces. These latter break with the tradition of ornate Victorian or Edwardian work and their clean lines would not be out of place in a building 25 years later.

Read More