Olde White Harte

East Yorkshire - Hull

A historic pub interior of national importance

In May 2022, it was noticed that the fittings from one of the two historic bars had been removed. The Council's planning enforcement team has been notified of this shocking unauthorised action. Given the public outcry in 2017 when similar changes were proposed, strong and urgent action by the Council is required.

In May 2022, it was noticed that the fittings from one of the two historic bars had been removed. The Council's planning enforcement team has been notified of this shocking unauthorised action. Given the public outcry in 2017 when similar changes were proposed, strong and urgent action by the Council is required.

Listed Status: II*

25 Silver Street
Hull
HU1 1JG

Tel: (01482) 326363

Email: yeoldewhiteharte@gmail.com

Website http://www.yeoldewhiteharte.com/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/129651947132066

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Nearby Station: Hull

Station Distance: 900m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Hull) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

The impressive Olde White Harte has been a licensed premises since the 18th century and has parts dating back to the 17th. However, its main interest from a pub heritage perspective derives from a major refurbishment in 1881 by local architects Smith & Brodrick. Their designs for the downstairs rooms (smoke room on the left, and public bar) used various elements of the original domestic interior, but incorporated them into an idealised re-creation of a 17th-century ‘Olde Englishe’ inn, complete with massive brick fireplaces – a striking example of a ‘theme pub’ by the Victorians! Only one of the downstairs serveries is now in regular use: both have copper counter tops, possibly from the 1960s. The old panelled upstairs rooms, now reserved mainly for dining and functions, were left largely untouched by the 1881 scheme. One is dubbed the ‘Plotting Room’, a Civil War reference to be taken with a large pinch of salt, since the building post-dates that conflict!

The impressive Olde White Harte has been a licensed premises since the 18th century and has parts dating back to the seventeenth. Its historic interest as a public house, however, derives from a major refurbishment of 1881 by local architects, Smith & Brodrick. Their designs for the downstairs rooms (smoke room to the left, and public bar) used various elements of the original domestic interior but incorporated them into an idealised re-creation of a 17th century ‘Olde Englishe’ inn, complete with massively enlarged brick fireplaces – a striking example of a ‘theme pub’ by the Victorians!!

The 1881 scheme, which also created the lovely decorative glasswork, left the old panelled upstairs rooms largely untouched. These are now reserved mainly for dining and functions but can be viewed at quiet times. One is dubbed the 'Plotting Room' - a Civil War reference to be taken with a pinch of salt, as the building post-dates that conflict. Only one of the downstairs serveries is now in regular use : both have copper counter-tops, possibly from the 1960s. The built-in telephone kiosk in the smoke room, now disused, is a noteworthy survival in itself.

Full Description