A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listedJames Place Street (off Byker Bank)
This pub is relatively little altered since its rebuilding in 1898-9 by James T. Cackett, and was one of several owned, according to a plaque outside, by John (‘Jocker’) Wood, a well-known local sportsman and publican. At the central entrance there is still the old off-sales hatch. On the left is the public bar which retains its original counter, mirrored bar-back and full-height match-board panelled walls and ceiling. In 2009 a section of walling was converted into a new food counter. The sitting room on the right was refitted in the 1980s and has a hatch. The upstairs room has a fine bar-back and counter, re-sited from the Haymarket Hotel in the city centre.
Plain, three-storey pub, rebuilt 1898-9 by James T. Cackett, and one of several owned, according to a plaque outside, by John (Jocker) Wood, a well-known sportsman and publican. His layout remains - two rooms either side of a central entrance lobby where the off-sales hatch and its sliding window survives. Public bar on the left with original bar counter, mirrored bar-back, full height matchboard panelled walls and ceiling. In 2009 an extension to the servery for serving food and drink was created by removing a section of the rear wall and you can now see the cellar behind. The sitting room on the right was refitted in the 1980s and has a hatch to the servery. The interwar period seems to have brought a new brick facing to the ground floor and the six attractive window screens across the front (plus one on the return). Upstairs are some bar fittings from the Haymarket Hotel in Newcastle including a splendid bar-back - they were repositioned in 2009. Live traditional music, real ale and cider are all strong features at this pub.Full Description