This remarkable three-roomed pub lies on the main road a mile east of Faulkland village. It occupies part of an 18th-century cottage which has housed a pub for over 200 years. The strange name comes from Edwin Tucker, who killed himself in 1747 and was buried nearby (suicides were commonly buried in unconsecrated ground, often near a crossroads). There is no bar here, the casks of beer and cider being stacked in the bay window of the public bar. To the right is the splendidly unspoilt tap room: the Georgian-style lettering on the door has a claim to be the earliest pub lettering in the country. A third room, far left, formerly a living room, was brought into use in 1985. At the end of the passage, a door leads to the outside toilets at the rear right of the building. A skittle alley is in a separate stone building at the back. A function room is being added on the site (as at May 2019).
A three-room pub with no bar counter and a superb tap room. It is in an eighteenthth-century cottage which has been a pub for over 200 years. The name comes from the burial place of a suicide, Edwin Tucker, who died in 1747. The two original delightfully unspoilt pub rooms with simple panelling and fixed bench seating are either side of a central corridor with old panelling. On the right is the tap room - note the Georgian lettering on the door which probably dates from the early nineteeth-century, if not the late eighteenth-century, and is surely among, if not the, the earliest pub lettering in the country. It survived because, at some point, it was covered by a screwed-on-sign. This small basic room has wall benches and some bell pushes. The mantelshelf over the old stone fireplace was replaced in 2007 when the previous one caught fire and the room required re-painting due to smoke damage.
On the left of the corridor a latch door leads to the tiny public bar which has a genuine Victorian tiled fireplace, some old bar back shelving near the door and above the window but more modern shelving opposite. There is no bar counter - casks of beer and poly-casks of cider are stacked in the bay window which has external shutters to protect the barrels from the sun. A third room to the far left was formerly the living room and was brought into use in 1985 - it has a Victorian tiled fireplace with marble surround. At the end of the passage which gets very narrow is a door leading to the outside gents' and ladies' on the rear right of the building. There is a skittle alley in a separate stone building at the rear.
This is one of only eight traditional pubs left in the whole of the UK without a bar counter including the other Heritage Pubs the Cock, Broom, Bedfordshire; Milbank Arms, Barningham, Co. Durham; Red Lion, Ampney St Peter, Gloucestershire; North Star, Steventon, Oxfordshire; Rose & Crown, Huish Episcopi, Somerset; Kings Head, Laxfield, Suffolk; and Manor Arms, Rushall, West Midlands.