A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed32 Waterman Street
Built c 1820 and subjected to a makeover c 1928 by Mann & Co. On the left is a narrow area that was formerly a skittle alley with an open rafter ceiling, where the walls have old panelling to picture-rail height painted a cream colour. The island bar counter with vertical planks is from 1928, as is the modest bar back at the rear with mirrored panels. There is an old etched mirror on the cellar door, and on the right is a rather lovely timber surround fireplace with the overmantle having mirrored panes.
Built c 1820 this is a back street two storey pub of brick painted a cream colour. It was subject to a makeover in circa 1928 by Mann & Co and still retains a number of attractive features from that time.
It consists of a U-shaped area around the servery and on the left a long narrow area that was formerly a skittle alley. There is an island bar counter from 1928 with a canted front of vertical planks. On the right hand side on the top of the counter is a ‘pot shelf’ structure which looks modern and includes a couple of snob screens. There is a modest bar back at the rear which is the 1928 one with mirrored panels. The door to the cellar has an old etched mirror on it. On the right hand side is a rather lovely timber fire surround with overmantle having mirrored panes and a log fire (or gas-effect?). Some fixed benches on the front left-hand side wall painted a cream colour. All the walls in the U-shaped area have narrow vertical panelling to picture-rail height but the wood looks new and is untreated – but it is the style of the panelling in the former skittle alley area.
Opened-up to the former skittle alley with an open rafter ceiling, the walls have old panelling to picture-rail height painted a cream colour. A table skittles is often available to play. The garden/patio area on the right was consented for development as a house in 2016/17 so it has lost its outside drinking area.