A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: II23 Phoenix Road
Tel: (020) 7387 1884
Nearby Station: St Pancras
Station Distance: 400m
View on: Whatpub
Grade II listed as part of Walker House, rebuilt in 1930 with three storeys with a frontage of transom and mullion windows with plate glass between the pillars. Main entrance on chamfered ground floor angle with four external doors of which only two are now accessible. It now consists of two bars with the rear bar mainly a function/meeting room. It still retains a number of original fixture and fittings including both bar counters and fireplaces although both bar backs look modern.
Re-built with adjoining block of council flats in 1929-30 as part of the Ossulston Estate to designs of the LCC Architects' Department under G Topham Forrest. A three-storey building of rendered brick and has four operational/blocked doorways indicating a multi-roomed interior originally but It now consists of two bars with the rear bar mainly a function/meeting room.
The front bar seems to have been three rooms as indicated by the three doors on the Phoenix Road side. The small front bar is U shaped with the counter on the left having a sloping front with wood staves but the right hand side (divided by the counter access door) has a flat panelled front. There is a groove in the left hand side of the access door column that may have had a screen/panel attached that lined up with one of the blocked up doors which would indicate a former off-sales here. The large area to the right hand side has an original fireplace and stairs. The walls here are covered with timbers frames painted blood red with white painted wallpaper panels. The ceiling is decorated with oblong sections with moulded cornices again painted blood red.
The large room to the left rear in Chalton Street has a long L shaped bar counter with sloping wooden staves similar to the left hand section of the front bar but painted green. Modern bar back here but look for the leaded stained glass panels above the staff door to the right hand rear which looks to be original. There are two load bearing columns with wood covering here with one by the entrance with a short half height partition to the door. Similar ceiling to the front bar but different colour scheme. Modern wood effect flooring throughout both bars. Notice the heated foot rail that runs across the bottom of all the bar counters. There are a number of cushioned wooden bench seating in both bars that have an inter-war style to them.