A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed13a Woolwich Road
Former Charles Beasley Ltd pub, built around 1863. Now a single room with a horseshoe servery, it has a panelled bar counter that has been shortened. The curved bar back has brackets on lower section and only one fridge in the lower shelving part. The room has a good cornice with modillions.
Built around 1863, this small cosy corner rendered pub stands on what was once Lesness Heath. A former Charles Beasley Ltd. pub (taken over by Courage, Barclay & Simmonds in 1963) that was three-storey but the top storey was taken off in WWII. Now a single room (two exterior doors) it has a horseshoe shaped servery.
Panelled bar counter with the front painted a dark brown colour. The counter has been shortened on the left hand side as it does not cover the bar back – a part is stranded. There are changes to the curved part of the counter visible by looking at the top and some markings on the front – there is a straight section on the right. The curved bar back has brackets on lower section and only one fridge in the lower shelving part. The right hand half of the bar back has changed as it did feature a mirror; two good brackets on top section.
There were seating bays on the right until the 1980s so fielded panelling only dates from 1980s. Has a good cornice with modillions (A modillion is an ornate bracket, a corbel, underneath a cornice and supporting it).